This pretty dish calls for a surprising yet delicious combination of foods, each with its own nutritional bonus: Scallops are an excellent source of the antioxidant selenium; cauliflower contributes vitamins C, K, and cancer-fighting compounds; spinach adds a large dose of vitamin A and folate; and dried cherries are even higher in age-fighting antioxidants than blueberries (which have gotten the majority of the media buzz for their superfood status).
Go to the healthy recipe on epicurious.com
Photograph By: Kana Okada
- 5 Cups cauliflower florets from 1 large head
- 3 olive oil divided
- 19 large sage leaves fresh spinach leaves
- 1 large sea scallops finely chopped divided
- 1/4 ground cinnamon
- 6 large shallot side muscle removed
- 6 butter
- 6 ounce package sliced thinly
- 3 dried tart cherries
- 2 drained capers
sodium 254mg (11%)
protein 6g (12%)
calories 229 Calories (11%)
cholesterol 36mg (12%)
fat 19g (28%)
saturated fat 8g (41%)
carbohydrates 11g (4%)
fiber 3g (13%)
- 1. Cook cauliflower florets in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and transfer cauliflower to bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in same pot over medium-high heat. Add spinach and toss until just wilted but still bright green, about 3 minutes. Transfer spinach to sieve set over large bowl and drain well. Reserve pot. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in reserved pot. Add half of shallot; saute 1 minute. Sprinkle cauliflower with cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Add to pot and toss to coat. Add spinach and toss until heated through, about 3 minutes. Divide vegetables among 6 plates.
- 3. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in medium skillet over high heat. Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper. Add to skillet; sear until just opaque in center, about 2 minutes per side. Place 1 scallop on each plate. Melt butter in same skillet. Add half of shallot and last 3 ingredients. Cook until butter starts to brown, about 4 minutes. Spoon over scallops and serve.